Stock Market HIGHLIGHTS: Indian stock markets S&P BSE Sensex and Nifty50 ended Tuesday on a strong note. Both indices registered their second consecutive gains today. Sensex closed at 61,294.20 and was up by 126.41 points or 0.21 per cent, the broader market Nifty50 finished at 18,232.55, up 35.10 points or 0.19 per cent. Banking gauge Nifty Bank settled 222 points or 0.51 per cent higher at 43,425.25.
Here are top highlights from the day’s action:
1) In the 50-stock index, 26 stocks advanced with HDFC Life, SBI Life, Axis Bank, Titan and TCS ending day as top gainers while Hindalco Industries, JSW Steel, Britannia Industries, Mahindra & Mahindra and Reliance Industries were top losers.
2) Out of 15 Nifty sectoral indices, 4 ended in the red against 11 gainers. The top performing indices were Nifty Consumer Durables (+1.29 per cent), Nifty Healthcare Index (+0.83 per cent) and Nifty Pharma and Nifty PSU Bank which were up 0.72 per cent, each.
3) There was stock specific action in broader markets in broader markets. Nifty Mid Cap 100 closed at 31,860.35, up 73.90 points or 0.23 per cent. In the 100-stock index, 63 advanced, 34 declined while 3 remained unchanged. The winners were Power Finance Corporation, Max Financial Services and Bank of India while losers were Mahindra & Mahindra Finance, TVS Motor Company and Shriram Finance.
4) In the 100-stock Small Cap index, advances were seen in 57 scrips, declines in 41 while 2 remained unchanged. The top gainers were Maharashtra Bank, Mazagon Dock Shipyard and Metropolis while top losers were Indiabulls Housing Finance, KEC and Elgi Equipments.
5) India VIX, a measure of volatility in Nifty, was down over 2 per cent at 14.39.
6) Out of 3,665 stocks that traded on BSE, 2,028 advanced, 1,494 declined while 143 unchanged. The number of stocks that hit their 52-week highs were 119 while 20 stocks hit their 52-week lows.
7) The rupee pared initial gains and settled 8 paise lower at 82.86 (provisional) against the US dollar on Tuesday, weighed by a strong greenback overseas and sustained foreign fund outflows. At the interbank foreign exchange market, the rupee opened on a positive note at 82.69 against the greenback, but pared the gains and fell to an intra-day low of 82.92. The domestic currency finally settled at 82.86, down 8 paise over its previous close of 82.78. The dollar index, which gauges the greenback’s strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading 1 per cent higher at 104.55. Dollar index rose to 104.53 while brent oil was at USD 85.44 per barrel. Asian currencies are also weaker against dollar though Yuan was at 6.91, stable. The range for tomorrow is expected to be 82.50 to 83.20 with a risk to the upside. S/L for importers to be kept at 83.05,” he added.
8) Singapore-based SGX Nifty was trading at 18,306, up 83 points or 0.46 per cent while Dow 30 Futures were also up 263 points or 0.80 per cent at 33,411 as US markets began trading after a long New Year break.
9) Among Asian benchmark indices, China’s Shanghai Composite today ended at 3,116.51, up 27.25 points or 0.88 per cent. South Korea’s Kospi settled at 2218.68, down 0.31 per cent. Japanese Nikkei is closed today.
10) Gold and Silver futures were trading with strength on MCX. February Gold futures were trading at Rs 55,530, up by Rs 352 or 0.64 per cent per 10 gram while March Silver futures were trading at Rs 70718, up 1147 or 1.65 per cent. Gold is at 30-month high level while Silver futures at 10-month high. 352 0.64
Catch all the updates here. For all other news related to business, politics, tech, sports, auto and others visit Zeebiz.com.